We all know the fairytale Cinderella. That glass slipper was the key to her happily ever after. It is a very happy and satisfactory thought that a new pair of shoes can change your life. It is very romantic, and maybe not so true.
Buying a pair of shoes, sure gives you a great feeling: The box, the paper inside, the soles that are untouched and the knowledge that they look amazing on you. Moreover a pair of shoes is an investment for life (although the male population still doesn’t seem to get that part). No wonder shoes play a key-role in more than one movie or tale. If you are in for a girls night all about shoes, consider these movies:
- Cinderella – the original Disney movie: No need to explain anymore how important shoes are in this movie. The mice are incredibly cute, you’ll instantly want a pet mouse. It is a classic, nobody is ever too old for Disney.
- Cinderella – the Disney remake from 2015: The storyline is a little different from the original animation movie, but it is a very enchanting movie. Her dress, the shoes, the carriage, the fairy godmother… and so much glitter, sparkle and butterflies. It made me look forward to the next princess movie remake of Disney.
- The Wizard of Oz: Those little red shoes are pretty essential. They protect Dorothy from the evil witch and in the end make sure Dorothy will find her way back home.
Enough fairytales, if you want to learn something about the art of shoemaking quickly, these short movies are not a waste of time!
- A Ferragamo Fairytale: White Shoe. A fairytale, but also a documentary in a sense. This short movie tells the story behind the young designer Salvatore Ferragamo. It’s only 30 minutes long, definitely worth the watch.
- The Shoemaker: A shortmovie from 2012 about a shoemaker creating the first gym shoes long before Nike and Adidas.
And if you are in a very girly mood:
- The Devil Wears Prada: It is not about shoes, but there are a lot of cute shoes in the movie. Also if you have a weak spot for impressive shoe closets, you won’t be disappointed.
- In her Shoes: More of that. It’s not that much about shoes, except that two sisters have nothing in common but their shoe size. If some nice shoes and an organized shoe closet are enough of an excuse, watch it!
Let’s switch to oldies:
- If the Shoe Fits: A nineties movie, a very cheesy teen movie, with a plot based on Cinderella. So cliché that it becomes funny, full of 80’s-90’s fashion. A girl dreams to become a shoe designer at a famous fashion house, but she’ll need a miracle to make that dream come true.
- Kinky Boots: It’s about an old traditional shoe factory that decides to make boots for drag queens.
If you watch the Disney movie carefully, you’ll notice Cinderella loses her shoe more than once, but only once she hit the jackpot – her fairytale prince. Moral of the story, you might need more than one pair of shoes to change your life. Don’t give up, buy the shoes, keep trying… One day you’ll find your magic pair.